Prestbury St Mary's Federation School Council
Team Prestbury – Working Together For Fullness of Life
We believe that every child should reach the highest possible academic standards and that, when they leave us, they should want to go on learning.
But, in addition, we believe that we should encourage our children to contribute to the life of the community around them - their fellow pupils.
The Federation School Council play an essential part in achieving this aim. Through their Council, the children can express their views and ideas to help us make our school as good as it can be.
School Council representatives are selected by their classes. They have regular meetings with a member of the Senior Management Team to discuss projects, any issues raised by their classmates and ideas for improving the school. It is part of their responsibility to uphold the school's core Christian values of Respect, Love, Honesty, Forgiveness, Perseverance and Responsibility. Pupil representatives are responsible for giving feedback to their individual classes and listening to their ideas and suggestions.
Our School Council aim to encourage our children to:
- Develop confidence and responsibility and make the most of their abilities
- Prepare them to play an active role as citizens
- Develop good relationships and respect the differences between people
- To have a ‘voice’ and to share their opinions and ideas with others
Our School Council will give pupils the experience of:
- Planning, organising and monitoring small projects
- Speaking and listening skills
- Debating skills
- Mediation and negotiating skills
- Basic budgeting and managing money
- Preparing our pupils for citizenship by teaching them about roles, rights and responsibilities within the school system
- Preparing a proposal, manage any delegated funds, and report on the impact
- Sharing information with their class, and get ideas and views from their peers
Class elections will be held every year so that different representatives can put forward their election speeches as well as developing the full potential of the School Councils to complete tasks. Two candidates will be elected from each house in Y2 and Y6 (one male and one female) and then one representative from each KS1 and KS2 class.
Senior Management Team
The Senior Management Team lead the school councils. Working alongside the children, they will prepare the agenda for each meeting and support the children to write minutes. They will also ensure that school staff are informed of decisions made.
Link between the School Council and Classes
Following the School Council Meeting, School Council Members speak to their class to let them know what is going on and tell the class about the issues being discussed and what is happening next. This will encourage more children to contribute to further meetings, share worries and let members know the things which could be done to improve the school. The school will record School Council Achievements on the school newsletter as and when appropriate.